I have a giant block of Gruyère in the fridge that I bought for a pizza and I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with the rest. I knew just who to turn to… Ina Garten. She seems to love Gruyère, it’s used in so many of her recipes. In looking through her recipes, I found this recipe for Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry and adapted it slightly to my needs and tastes. This flaky, savory pastry makes a great dish for breakfast or brunch!
I’m not generally big on breakfast. I usually opt for some fruit or yogurt, but when I do decide to make breakfast I usually prefer something savory over something sweet. I also want something simple to prepare. Aside from special occasions, I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen in the morning (plus, the longer it takes to cook, the later you get to eat). This recipe meets both these criteria. Move the puff pastry from the freezer to the fridge the night before and it will be ready to work with when you wake up. The rest of the prep work can be completed while the oven is heating so that when the oven is hot, your pastry is ready to go in. You can have an indulgent breakfast from the fridge to the table in 30 minutes!
Savory Ham and Cheese Pastry
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1/2 sheet frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
Sliced Deli Ham (I used Black Forest Ham)
Gruyère Cheese, sliced
1 tbsp. Water
1. Cut puff pastry in half. Lightly flour cutting board and roll each half out to ~ 6″ x 6″ square (these pieces don’t have to be perfect, we’ll even them up later).
2. If one half of your puff pastry is smaller than the other, place the smaller piece on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread a thin layer of Dijon over the pastry leaving a strip along the edge clean. Keep in mind this is a breakfast/brunch dish so go light with the mustard. If you want to make this for lunch, feel free to up the Dijon.
3. Layer your ham slices over the mustard. I used 5-6 slices. Feel free to use however much you like. Just keep in mind you’ll have to be able to close the pastry so don’t pile it too high. Then top the ham with your sliced cheese.
4. Combine the egg with the water and beat together to create a wash.
5. Brush the edge of the pastry with your egg wash then place the second piece on top of the first. Press the edges firmly together. Now we can even it up. Using a pastry cutter, trim the pastry so the edges are straight. Use a fork to seal the edges of the pastry.
6. Using a sharp knife, cut slits in the top of the pastry to allow ventilation. Then brush the top with the egg wash. Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes. The top should be nice and golden.
7. Slice the pastry and serve. You’ll love this flaky, cheesy breakfast dish!!