Italian sausage is one of the best things you can put on a pizza. Combine that with creamy ricotta cheese and you’re sure to have a winner! This sausage and ricotta pizza was inspired by one of the best restaurant pizzas I’ve ever had: the Sporkie at Bertucci’s. If you’re ever in Massachusetts, you should definitely check this place out. The bread is great and the pizzas are incredible! Since I can only count on getting to eat there once or twice a year, I knew I had to figure out how to make it at home. Thus, this pizza was born, and now I share it with you to enjoy…
Sausage and Ricotta Pizza
Prep Time: 10 minutes (not including time to make the dough and the sauce)
Cook Time: 15 minutes
No-Knead Pizza Dough or 1/2 recipe Thick Crust Pizza Dough
Tomato Sauce for Pizza (and Pasta)
~3 oz. Fresh Mozzarella
3 oz. Italian Sausage (This recipe is better than store-bought!)
~1/2 c. Whole Milk Ricotta
Italian Seasoning (optional)
Garlic Olive Oil
1. Shape the sausage into small clumps and brown in a skillet over medium heat. Drain on paper towels.
2. Shape dough into desired size and thickness then spread the tomato sauce over the dough.
3. Season your ricotta with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning (optional).
4. Break the mozzarella into clumps and distribute over the pizza. Then drop dollops of ricotta evenly over the pizza. Finally, distribute the sausage on top of the pizza.
5. Brush the crust with garlic olive oil for added flavor.
6. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbling and browned.
Note: The crust comes out especially nice if you use a pizza stone. To use a pizza stone, make sure it is heated to the proper temperature for at least 30 minutes before baking on it.
Let the pizza cool a few minutes then slice and serve. Eat up!