This first recipe I’m sharing with you is one of my all-time favorites. It has special occasion flavor without the special occasion work. Fair warning: this is NOT a diet-friendly recipe. While your hips may not thank you for it, your taste buds certainly will!!
Tortellini with Creamy Tomato Sauce and Sausage
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
1 9 oz. package Cheese Tortellini
6 oz. Italian Sausage
1 14.5 oz. can Diced Italian-style Tomatoes
1/2 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Sugar
1/2 tbsp. Dried Parsley
1/2 tbsp. Dried Basil
1 c Cream
1. First, you’re going to cook the sausage. If you want really fresh and flavorful sausage, make your own the day before using my recipe. Heat skillet over medium heat. Shape sausage into quarter-sized disks and brown in skillet. You don’t have to cook the sausage quite all the way through since it’ll be cooked more in the sauce later. Just get a nice brown on both sides then drain on paper towels.
See how nice and brown. But make sure no one sneaks a sample if you haven’t cooked it all the way through…
2. In the skillet, brown the minced garlic in the olive oil over medium heat. Then add the tomatoes with their juices along with the salt, pepper, sugar, parsley, and basil. Mix well.
3. Simmer tomato sauce until most of the liquid is driven off then puree. I prefer to use my immersion blender so I don’t have to deal with cleaning the blender pitcher (a chore I try to avoid with the exception of mixed drinks).
4. Return the tomato puree to the skillet then add the cream and stir. Once the sauce begins to simmer, add the sausage. Then reduce to desired consistency.
5. While the sauce is reducing, cook tortellini according to package directions.
6. Add tortellini to sauce. Serve with freshly-grated parmesan and enjoy!! To make it a meal, add one of our Veggies and Sides.